About Visa

Visa & Schengen Area

The partner countries of EMIMEP Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree are part of the Schengen Area. In these countries, non-European students must obtain a long-stay student visa to be able to enter and stay.

Please note that it is impossible to transform a tourist visa into a student visa.

The Directive (EU) 2016/801, adopted on 11 May 2016 set up the conditions of entry and residence of third-country nationals for research, studies, training or educational projects. 

The Directive applies to:

  • Third-country nationals, ie non-EU or EEA nationals
  • Coming to one of the 25 Members States applying the Directive (ie not the United Kingdom)
  • For more than 90 days.

For any further information, please click here.

What is the Multiple-Entry VLS-TS Student Visa in France?

Holders of a multiple-entry VLS-TS student visa (VLS-TS « étudiant » à entrées multiples) are entitled to travel outside of France and in the entire world whenever they wish. Please be aware, however, that you must have validated your visa to travel outside of France beyond the three months following your arrival in France. 

During the first three months after your arrival in France, you are authorised to travel freely outside of France and in the entire world with your visa, even if you have not validated it.

After these three months, however, if you have not validated your visa and you travel outside of France, you will be required to apply for a new visa to return to France.

For additional information, please visit the official website for visas in France.


To apply for a student visa, the following documents are generally required:

  • a valid passport
  • passport photos
  • entitlement to university admission (diplomas) and notification of admission from the university
  • evidence of previous academic performance
  • proof of financial support guarantee for one year
  • lodging certificate in the host country.

The visa application is submitted and issued in your country of residence at the Embassy or Consulate of the hosting country – preferably as early as possible (2 months before the date of arrival). For France, non-European students must check if their country is submitted to the CEF visa procedure.

What is Campus France? 

Campus France is a public institution in charge of promoting French higher education abroad and welcoming foreign students and researchers to France. It encourages international mobility and manages scholarship programmes and the alumni network.

There are 255 Campus France offices and branches in 124 countries worldwide. Over 500 people work there to help students who wish to come to France to continue their higher education. These people are key figures in inter-university cooperation.

The Campus France offices can provide valuable assistance to students in the Visa process. Please visit Campus France’s website and see if you have a Campus France Contact Point in your country.